What it's all about

Every year my school organizes a theatre production. It's an elaborate process with auditions starting in October and opening night kicking off in April. Kids from all schoolyears (except the first) are invited to audition and the ones that are eventually chosen are molded into an amazing group of actors at the end of the ride. Under guidance of our brilliant theatre teacher and, our equally brilliant, activity coordinator these kids come up with their completely own production: from plot, to dialogue, to set and costumes, there is nothing that they are not involved in. 

Although I have only been able to see this production twice (three years ago it was cancelled due to the pandemic) I can honestly say that it is the very best part of our school. Why? Because it shows what our students are capable of if only they are given the chance to show it. Throughout this process twenty something kids, of all ages, backgrounds and 'levels', become a tightly-knit group united through a common goal: giving a great performance. And the love and affection they share for one another is genuine and absolutely heartwarming to witness. 

Yesterday's production was the highlight of my schoolyear not only because it was such an incredible performance but also because for the first time the production contained a lot of students that I have taught or personally know through a variety of activities. And although I myself had absolutely nothing to do with the entire theatre process (let that be clear!) I could not help but be filled with incredible pride and awe. Proud of the kids who I know might not shine in an academic (or classic school) setting but damned if they didn't shine brightly on that stage. In awe of their talent, their tenacity and their determination in giving the performance their all. Humor, anger, sarcasm, sadness, you name an emotion and I can honestly say that I saw it on that stage, and not only were they able to show it, they were able to make us feel it. 

After the show I hugged my kids, gave out some opening night presents and then left on a high. Why? Again not because any of this could be credited to me, on the contrary, I have been far from inspired in the past year. I have not been the teacher I know I can be, not been as openminded as I could be, not as willing to try things or do things as I was before. But after seeing this? Not only have I been reminded of all what my students are capable of given the right circumstances, I have become determined to do my part into bringing around those circumstances as often as possible. 

Because giving my students a chance to shine? That's what my job is all about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All's well that ends well

The things you forget